How I Began Making a Difference and How You Can Too!



The first step to making a difference is finding inspiration. Find what you are passionate about. Ask yourself: what do you want to change? What angers you? What makes you happy? What are you interested in?

Once you find an answer that makes you want to take action, you can begin.

My inspiration 

Meet my grandmother - Anais Florez de Cortes. She passed away two years ago. She was the strongest woman I've ever met. She was also the most generous woman I've ever met. Being born to an impoverished family in Colombia, she managed to put six out of her seven children through college and was known for being a very generous person.

She helped anyone she could, even when she had nothing to give.




Education & Helping others were two of the most important things to her.

She believed education was the only way we can get ahead as a community.

Today I am combining both in her honor.

I have created the Anais Florez Scholarship which will give one student $500 towards their 2019 tuition at a school in the neighborhood she raised her family in.

I also attended this school when I was younger, so it holds a special place in my heart.

We do not come from a wealthy background, we lived in the south of Bogota in a lower class neighborhood, and many less fortunate families could use the help.

If you would like to get involved with my scholarship project, please feel free to reach out. I am working with various schools in Colombia to help less fortunate kids receive an education. Scholarships can be named as desired and handled as desired.


Ok, now the basics:

I am a 27-year-old marketing assistant who is currently getting her Digital Marketing Master's degree in San Francisco.

I am a student.

I am not rich.

I do not have wealthy parents.

I live on my own and get no support from family.

BUT..

I am determined to make a difference in this world.

I want to show people like me, that one person can have a significant impact on another's. I want to show that anyone can make a difference, that we are all in this together.

If money is not an option, think of other ways that you can start making a difference. Here is a list off the top of my head of a few ideas:


  • Volunteering
  • Mentoring
  • Tutoring 
  • Teaching
  • Donating clothes or items
  • Donating your time or skill
  • Visiting senior homes
  • Visiting hospitals


Can you think of more ways? Let us know in the comments.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Ways to Start Making a Difference

10 Quotes That Remind Us of The Importance of Being Thankful